On this page Hide table of contents
A pen is mightier than a sword, but quotes become your weapon in this case. If you’ve gone through a bad breakup and you’re not taking most of the blame, quotes can paint a picture for you. Below are 15 quotes to make your ex feel bad.
1. “Some people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone.”
Classy and open to interpretation. On your side, a bad breakup can make you realize that you’re finally getting peace.
On your ex’s side, you’re letting them know they are losing an absolute gem; that is you! And they won’t realize it yet until they find out someone so rare and genuine as you are hard to find.
2. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can come together.” - Marilyn Monroe
Talk about shooting arrows at your ex by letting them know you are unfazed by this quote. This allows them know they are not a loss and that you know better people are and will be coming your way.
3. “Whatever you do, never run back to what broke you.” - Frank Ocean
No more valid words have ever been spoken. There’s a saying that’s been going around: you can’t heal at the same place that broke you. So with a quote like this, make your ex feel guilty by letting them know how they’ve hurt you and how little to nothing they can do will ever repair that.
4. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” - Mark Twain
While this quote is aimed more at making you feel good and helping you cope, your ex may still feel something. They might think you’ve been onto their flirting game and that you were just too kind not to make a scene about it with them.
5. “The hottest love has the coldest end.” - Socrates
Your ex will feel guilty when they see this. This lets them know that you have been a genuine partner and that whatever you’re going through is also real. This means the hurt that you’re feeling; that’s on them!
6. “If you really want closure… at some point, you have to shut the door.”
This quote is for a guilty ex bothering you to talk to them so that they can clean their hands off. Don’t do it! Instead, send them this quote and let them know you are better off not talking than giving them the forgiveness they desperately want for the wrong reasons.
7. “Ever looked at your ex and wondered, was I drunk the entire relationship?”
Wouldn’t it be funny to let your ex know that being in a relationship with them intoxicated? Like you were weaning rose-colored glasses during the entire relationship, and now that it’s over, you see them for who they are.
This quote is one way to clap back at your ex without sounding so bitter. You’ll get funny points on top of making your ex feel bad.
8. “Never love anybody that treats you like you’re ordinary.” - Oscar Wilde
Let your ex know they don’t know how to act properly in a relationship and that they’ve been treating you on bare minimum standards. It’s a pity move, but it will surely make your ex feel things.
Give it maybe 5 or 10 years down the line, and when they think about you, each instance will have more bearing than the last because they’ll be reminded of how bad they’ve treated you — a reminder of their bad side.
9. “What’s broken is broken — and I’d rather remember it as it was than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.” -Margaret Mitchell
For anyone who is vengeful, sending this quote to your ex lets them know how incapable they are of fixing things. Yet, it also reminds them that they are only good for hurting people. It’s a low blow with lots of emotional damage on their side and a dash of petty on yours.
It doesn’t matter, though! You’re making your ex feels terrible, and it’s not even your own words. You can credit Mitchell for making things easier for you.
10. “What we wait around a lifetime for with one person, we can find in a moment with someone else.”
A quote like this lets your ex know just how incapable they are of change. And that you are very aware of it. You’re also telling them they are replaceable and that many people will be better than them.
11. “When your ex asks you to remain friends after you break up, it’s like a kidnapper asking you to “keep in touch” after he releases you.” - Nitya Prakash
Here’s for the justifiably bitter whose exes are asking for friendship after all the bad things they put you through! How dare they want that, right?
Send them this quote because why would you still want to be friends with someone who’s stolen a significant amount of time, love, and effort from you to throw it away and replace it with the friendship label? It’s such a shame!
There you have it, 11 loaded quotes to make your ex feel bad no matter how you broke up. While these are all just quotes coming from other people, your ex will still handle your resentment through them. Send these wisely, and you’ll have your ex riled up with guilt and uncomfortable feelings.
Must-read books about exes
Exes can be a touchy subject. Whether you’re still hung up on them, or you’ve moved on, they’re often a topic that’s hard to avoid. If you’re in the former or latter camp, these books about exes might be for you. These titles explore everything from what it’s like to be dumped to how to deal with an ex who won’t go away.
- Flirting: How to Flirt for Women Wanting to Date a High-Value Man, Including Seductive Body Language Techniques and a Guide to Get Your Ex Back
- Relationship Goals: How to Win at Dating, Marriage, and Sex
- Don't Text Your Ex Happy Birthday: And Other Advice on Love, Sex, and Dating
- The Friends With Benefits Rulebook: How to Get in, Get Laid, and Get Out With Dignity (and Even a Relationship)
- She Comes First: The Thinking Man's Guide to Pleasuring a Woman