When someone tells you they love you, a panic-stricken feeling can sometimes come over you. Your mind might start racing, and you might not know what to say in return. The worst response you can give is no response at all. If someone tells you they love you, it’s important to at least acknowledge what they’ve said.
Read on for a few alternative responses to I love you:
Sweet responses to I love you
There are many cute responses you can give to someone when they say I love you. A simple “I love you too” is always a great choice, but if you want to be a little bit more creative, try one of these responses:
1. I will never get tired of hearing you say that.
This response is sweet, loving, and will make the other person feel appreciated. It shows them that you enjoy hearing them say I love you, and that you never want them to stop saying it.
2. That means so much coming from you.
You’re the happiest person alive when you’re with the one you love, and hearing them say those three little words can reaffirm how special your bond is. If someone tells you they love you and you feel the same way about them, let them know with this response.
3. I feel so lucky to be loved by you.
Similar to the response above, this one is all about expressing how lucky you feel to have been loved by such an amazing person.
4. Every time you say “I love you,” it takes my breath away.
This phrase is a great way to show your partner that their love still has the power to make you weak in the knees, even after all this time.
5. Awww! I love you too!"
This response is fun, flirty, and sure to make your partner smile.
6. I’m so grateful for your love.
This is a great response if you want to show your partner how truly thankful you are for their love.
7. You’re such an amazing person, and I love you for that.
This response is a great way to not only return your partner’s “I love you,” but also to compliment them on being an amazing person.
8. I love you more than anything in the world.
This is a beautiful way to return your partner’s “I love you” and show them just how much they mean to you.
9. There’s no one in the world I would rather say “I love you” to than you.
This is a sweet way of showing your partner that they are your number one choice for love and that no one else could ever compare.
10. There’s nothing better than hearing you say “I love you.”
Expressing how happy you are to hear your partner say “I love you” is a great way to show them how much those three little words mean to you.
11. Thank you for loving me.
This response is sweet and shows your appreciation for the person’s love.
12. I’m so happy you’re in my life.
Who wouldn’t want to hear this? Telling the person who loves you that you’re happy they’re in your life is a beautiful way to show them how much you care.
13. You always make me feel so loved.
Sometimes the best thing you can say is something that simply expresses how much you appreciate being loved by this person. If you want to make your response extra special, try adding in a heartfelt thank you.
14. I love you too!
The most classic response to hearing those three little words is simply to say them back. If you feel the same way about the person who just told you they love you, don’t hesitate to let them know with this tried and direct response.
15. You have no idea how much I needed to hear that.
This is a great response if you’re feeling overwhelmed with emotions and you need a little bit of time to process what’s happening. It shows your partner that their declaration of love means a lot to you and gives them the chance to comfort you if you need it.
Funny responses to I love you
Sometimes, the best way to respond to “I love you” is with a bit of humor. If you want to make your partner laugh, try one of these silly responses.
1. It’s about time! I was starting to think you didn’t love me anymore.
Haha, just kidding! But seriously, this response is bound to get a laugh out of your partner.
2. I love you too… now give me a massage!
This direct response is sure to get a laugh out of your partner and maybe even a massage too.
3. Awww, I love you too… now can we cuddle?
This response is both sweet and playful and is sure to put a huge smile on your partner’s face.
4. Oh, does that mean you’re going to do the dishes tonight?
This is a great way to joke around with your partner and show them that you love them, even when they’re being a little bit pesky.
5. I love me too!
This response is sure to get a giggle out of your partner.
6. Who doesn’t?
That’s what I call self-esteem! This response is bound to make your partner laugh.
7. If I was you, I would love me too.
Well, that’s just good advice! This response is sure to make your partner chuckle.
8. Of course, you do!
How could they not love you?
9. What? I didn’t hear you, can you say it again?
Just say it again, honey.
10. I love you enough to make our iPhone-Samsung relationship work.
Do you and your partner have different phone brands? This is a great way to joke around about it and show them that you’re still head-over-heels in love, even though you don’t have the same taste in phones.
Bonus: How to respond to I love you when you don’t love them back
If you don’t love the person who just told you they love you, there are a few different ways you can respond. It’s important to be respectful and honest in your response while also trying to let the person down easy.
You’re curious if you’re in love or if it’s just a crush? Head over to this article to learn the telltale signs that you love someone.
Here are a few different ways you can respond to “I love you” when you don’t feel the same way:
1. “Thank you for telling me how you feel. I care about you a lot, but I’m not in love with you.”
If you know that the person is expecting a certain response from you, it’s important, to be honest with them. This response lets them know that you still care about them but that you’re not in love with them.
2. “That means a lot coming from you. I’m just not ready to say ‘I love you’ yet.”
Maybe you do see a future with this person, but you’re just not ready to say “I love you” yet. If that’s the case, let them know with this response. It shows that you’re interested in taking things to the next level but that you need a little bit more time.
3. “Thank you for telling me. I care about you, but I don’t think I’m in love with you.”
Sometimes, people can mistake strong feelings of care and affection for love. If you think that might be the case with the person who just told you they love you, let them know with this response. It shows that you still care about them but that you don’t think your feelings are quite at the “love” stage yet.
4. “That’s a really nice thing to say. Thank you for telling me how you feel.”
If you’re not sure how you feel about the person who just told you they love you, or if you need some time to process your feelings, this is a great response. It shows that you appreciate their sentiment but that you need a little bit of time to think about how you feel.
5. “I’m sorry, but I don’t feel the same way.”
If you’re certain that you don’t love the person who just told you they love you, it’s important to be honest with them. This direct response lets them know that you’re not interested in taking things to the next level and that they should move on.
Whatever response you choose, it’s important to be respectful and honest. Telling someone that you don’t love them back is never easy, but it’s important to do what’s best for both of you in the long run.
So there you have it! How to respond to “I love you” in a variety of different ways. Whether you’re head-over-heels in love with the person who just told you they love you, or you don’t quite feel the same way, there’s a response on this list for you. This way for more ideas on how to show affection
The best relationship books to help you survive and thrive
Whether single or in a relationship, it can be tough to navigate the waters of love. These books offer advice and guidance from experts and real-life couples alike, giving you the tools you need to make your relationship work. These books will surely provide some valuable insights if you are looking for a way to spice up your love life or simply learn how to better communicate with your partner.
- Love: The Psychology of Attraction: A Practical Guide to Successful Dating and a Happy Relationship
- Single, Dating, Engaged, Married: Navigating Life and Love in the Modern Age
- The Power of Four Bases for Relationships: Can You Hit a Home Run in a Relationship?
- Communication and Relationship: A Guide to Deeper Connection, Trust and Intimacy to Improve Communication and Strengthen Your Bond as a Couple
- Couple's Bucket List: 101 Fun, Engaging Dating Ideas