Body language is a powerful indicator of how someone is feeling — and when it comes to love, that’s no exception. When someone’s around the person they have feelings for, their body language reveals much about their feelings and intentions.
Thinking if your special someone returns your affection? In this article, we’ll discuss why body language is so important in deciphering love — and then give you a few helpful tips on reading the signs that he may be in love with you.
Are communication problems getting in the way of your relationship? Learn how effective communication can help create and maintain a strong bond with your partner.
Understanding body language in relationships
Understanding body language in relationships is crucial for gaining deeper insight into your partner’s emotions and intentions. Body language accounts for 55% of our communication, while only 7% is conveyed through spoken words. 1
This means that what we say doesn’t always indicate how we feel — our body language can tell us so much more. People in relationships are especially better at decoding their partner’s body language and understanding what is really being said. 2
So, to know whether your special someone loves you, pay special attention to their body language cues. Not only will this help you to determine how they feel about you, but it can also be a wonderful way to strengthen your bond as a couple. 3
Of course, it’s important to remember that body language is not foolproof. We all interpret body language differently, and people can also be good at masking their true emotions.
Discover the hidden messages of body language in relationships. Learn how to interpret nonverbal cues and understand what your partner's body language reveals about your relationship dynamics.
12 signs that he’s falling in love with you
Being able to read the signs that indicate he’s falling for you can help you determine whether your relationship will progress further. Here are twelve signs to be on the lookout for that could mean he loves you:
1. He looks at you a lot
Frequent and intense eye contact can be a powerful signal of interest and attraction. Prolonged eye contact has been associated with heightened feelings of love and desire, indicating a potential romantic connection. 4
When someone looks at you intently and holds your gaze, it may express their strong emotional attachment and growing love for you. So, pay attention to those moments of prolonged eye contact, as they can provide valuable insights into his feelings.
Discover the power of eye contact in building intimate connections. Learn techniques to strengthen your bond through meaningful gazes.
2. He’s become touchy lately
Physical contact is a classic sign of love and affection, creating a sense of closeness and fostering emotional bonding. When someone becomes touchy, offering gentle and lingering touches signifies their desire to convey care, comfort, and attraction toward you. 5
Touch can release oxytocin, often referred to as the “love hormone,” which promotes feelings of trust, attachment, and intimacy. As a result, if he’s been affectionate in this way, it could be a sign that his feelings are deepening. 6
3. He remembers all the small details
When someone loves someone else, they tend to remember anything and everything about them. This includes seemingly trivial information such as their favorite color, the kind of music they like, or even the type of food they enjoy.
This is because our brains are wired to remember what we care about — and if your special someone pays close attention to all the small details related to you, it could be a sign that they’re in love with you.
4. He shows genuine interest and attentiveness when you speak
When someone is truly in love, they want to learn everything about you and will try to listen when you speak. Attentive listening behaviors, such as maintaining eye contact, nodding, and providing affirmations, indicate that he’s interested and invested in your words. 7
This is a powerful sign of love because it shows that he truly cares about your thoughts, ideas, and feelings — and wants to be there for you every step of the way. Active listening and genuine interest are surefire signs of a strong emotional connection.
Want to improve your active listening skills? Discover powerful exercises to strengthen your relationship through attentive and engaged communication.
5. He seeks your approval
You know someone likes you when they become more conscious about their behavior, hoping to get your approval. This could be seen in various ways, such as seeking your opinion or advice on various topics — or always asking for your approval before making decisions.
Because seeking approval is a sign of vulnerability, he wants to ensure you’re happy and comfortable with his actions. It’s also a sign that he wants to please you and is willing to go above and beyond to meet your expectations.
6. He shifts his body towards you
Naturally, we tend to turn our bodies toward the people or things we are interested in. If your special someone is always angling himself towards you, it’s a sure sign that he is attracted to you and wants to be closer.
This behavior may seem subtle initially, but it can indicate his feelings for you. So, pay attention to the small changes in his body language when you’re together — they may tell you something.
7. He unconsciously imitates your gestures and actions
Mirroring, or unconsciously imitating another person’s behavior, is a strong sign of emotional connection. It’s thought that this behavior is an expression of empathy and an unconscious attempt to build rapport with another person. 8
So, if you notice your special someone copying or unconsciously following some of your actions, it could be a sign that he’s falling for you. This behavior can be a powerful indicator of emotional attachment and love.
8. He talks about you a lot to other people
If your special someone talks about you to his friends and family, it could be a sign that he’s in love with you. Speaking fondly of someone clearly indicates admiration and appreciation, which are both signs of love.
Talking about you could also mean he’s proud to have you in his life and wants everyone to know. If you notice that he often brings up your name in conversations, it could be a sign that he cares for you deeply.
9. He expresses vulnerability and openness to you
Sharing vulnerable thoughts and secrets is a sign of trust. When someone loves you, they want to be as open and honest with you as possible, which can lead to them expressing their innermost thoughts and feelings.
Being vulnerable with someone is also a sign that he’s emotionally intelligent and mature — important qualities in a healthy relationship. So, if he’s been opening up to you more lately, it could be a sign that he’s in love.
Seeking emotional intelligence in a partner? Identify the signs that indicate their emotional awareness, empathy, and strong interpersonal skills.
10. He shows concern and takes care of you
Love means being there for each other, both emotionally and practically. If your special someone is always looking out for you, it could be a sign that he loves you.
He may show this by offering to help you with tasks, taking care of errands on your behalf, or always ensuring you’re comfortable and safe. This behavior is a sign that he wants to take care of you and ensure your needs are met.
11. He consistently makes time for you
Spending quality time together is an important part of any relationship, especially regarding love. If your special someone consistently makes time for you, even when busy or tired, it’s a sign that they value your company and want to be around you.
Making plans with someone shows dedication and commitment — two key elements of a loving relationship. So, pay attention to how often he sees you or sets aside time for you — it could be a sign that he’s in love.
12. He’s become more protective of you
Love often brings out protective instincts in people, so if your special someone is being extra careful with you, it could be a sign of his deep feelings for you.
He may express this protectiveness through physical cues, such as putting his arm around you in public or standing close to you when someone else is talking. It could also be seen in more subtle ways, such as him asking about your day or making sure that you’re always safe.
Ultimately, it’s the small behaviors that can be telling of someone’s true feelings. Pay attention to your special someone and look for signs that he is falling for you. If you see a combination of the behaviors listed above, it could be a sign that he’s in love!
Master the art of communication in relationships with these essential techniques. Get started today!
The best relationship books to help you survive and thrive
Whether single or in a relationship, it can be tough to navigate the waters of love. These books offer advice and guidance from experts and real-life couples alike, giving you the tools you need to make your relationship work. These books will surely provide some valuable insights if you are looking for a way to spice up your love life or simply learn how to better communicate with your partner.
- Love: The Psychology of Attraction: A Practical Guide to Successful Dating and a Happy Relationship
- Single, Dating, Engaged, Married: Navigating Life and Love in the Modern Age
- The Power of Four Bases for Relationships: Can You Hit a Home Run in a Relationship?
- Communication and Relationship: A Guide to Deeper Connection, Trust and Intimacy to Improve Communication and Strengthen Your Bond as a Couple
- Couple's Bucket List: 101 Fun, Engaging Dating Ideas
- ↑ Mehrabian, A. (2016). Silent messages: a wealth of information about nonverbal communication (body language).
- ↑ Thompson, E. H., & Hampton, J. A. (2011). The effect of relationship status on communicating emotions through touch. Cognition & emotion, 25(2), 295–306.
- ↑ Sabatelli, R. M., Buck, R., & Dreyer, A. (1982). Nonverbal communication accuracy in married couples: relationship with marital complaints. Journal of personality and social psychology, 43(5), 1088–1097.
- ↑ Kellerman, J.M., Lewis, J., & Laird, J.D. (1989). Looking and loving: The effects of mutual gaze on feelings of romantic love. Journal of Research in Personality, 23, 145-161.
- ↑ Beltran, M.I, Dijkerman, H. C., & Keizer, A. (2020). Affective touch experiences across the lifespan: Development of the Tactile Biography questionnaire and the mediating role of attachment style. PLoS ONE 15(10): e0241041. doi.org
- ↑ Yu, H., Miao, W., Ji, E., Huang, S., Jin, S., Zhu, X., ... & Yu, X. (2022). Social touch-like tactile stimulation activates a tachykinin 1-oxytocin pathway to promote social interactions. Neuron, 110(6), 1051-1067.
- ↑ Guerrero, L. K., Anderson, P. A., & Afifi, W. A. (2007). Close encounters: Communication in relationships. In J. O. Greene & B. R. Burleson (Eds.), Handbook of Communication and Social Interaction Skills (pp. 119-161). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- ↑ Hasson, U., & Frith, C. D. (2016). Mirroring and beyond: coupled dynamics as a generalized framework for modelling social interactions. Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological sciences, 371(1693), 20150366. doi.org